Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Patti by Robert Still Moving

“The first time I saw Robert he was sleeping. I stood over him, this boy of twenty, who sensing my presence opened his eyes and smiled. With few words he became my friend, my compeer, my beloved adventure.”Patti Smith, “The Coral Sea”, 1996









I am always pleased whenever I come across the colaboration of the two artist that are among the most influential for my own artistic work. Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe.
Alison Jacques is proud to curate an exhibition of Robert Mapplethorpe focusing on the artist’s seldom-screened film work. November 4, 2006 would have been Robert Mapplethorpe’s 60th birthday; it is with great pleasure that the gallery has been able to collaborate with Patti Smith on both this exhibition and a unique evening at Tate Modern to mark the event.
Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe’s 13-minute 16mm film Still Moving had its premiere at their show held at Robert Miller Gallery, New York in 1978. Mapplethorpe wanted to capture on film the essence of Smith’s presence and her poetry and literature. During the film Patti Smith recites excerpts from several of her poems, among them “Babelfield”, “Combe” and “Pinwheels”, as well as improvising dialogues. Later, Patti Smith explained that the film was total improvisation, citing the basic theme as the struggle between heaven and earth, good and evil.
On Friday, 8 September at 7pm, Tate Modern in collaboration with Alison Jacques Gallery will present an evening of poetry and song performed by Patti Smith.

ROBERT MAPPLETHORPE
Still Moving & Lady
With photographs by Judy Linn
September 8 – October 7, 2006

via

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...